Tuesday 12 June 2012

The Van Alen Legacy


Level: Older Teen
Genre: Fantasy > Vampires/Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Purchased at Borders
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
The plot thickens in the fourth installment of the Blue Bloods series. As before, we continue to witness the stories of Schuyler, Bliss, and Mimi. It has been a year since we last left our characters. Schuyler is now on the run with Oliver and hiding from both the blue bloods and Leviathan. Mimi is on a mission with Kingsley and other venators to find the angel, Sophia, and then Bliss is having trouble with her visitor, who is trying to destroy the blue bloods. Then, if this wasn't enough, our heroes still must deal with the matters of the heart. Jack and Schuyler still have their forbidden love, but Mimi is starting to have her own issues as well. However, love or no love, she and Jack are still destined to be bonded.

Rating: 7/10
I have to say the Melissa de la Cruz knows how to keep you hooked. As I have mentioned in prior reviews, the writing is pretty low level (he had the voice like a movie star is one example), but the plot is entertaining enough that I don't mind so much. I was especially intrigued with Bliss's story, which ends up giving us more insight into the silver bloods' plan. Mimi's tale was also quite interesting though, at first, it felt like de la Cruz was trying too hard to show that Mimi is more than the it girl. Whenever Mimi was supposed to care about children, it seemed like de la Cruz was screaming, "Mimi is more than just a selfish brat. Please, believe me!" I do think the added character seemed a lot less forced later on though. The only thing I really disliked about Mimi's plot was Mimi's and Kingsley's relationship of sorts. The love/lust between them, I guess you could say. It did not take the path the way I though de la Cruz was going to take it however so that is something.

Schuyler's story was the least interesting for me. Don't get me wrong. It had its moments where I didn't want to put the book down, but mostly I couldn't wait to finish Schuyler's chapters so that I could get back to Mimi's and Bliss's stories. It seemed to me that the majority of Schuyler's story seemed to be romance. "I want to be with Jack, but he's destined for another," is getting old. Meanwhile, Oliver is also in love with Schuyler so she doesn't want to hurt him therefore there is more angsting. I just do not find myself rooting for her at all.

Even with all the romance and "love", I am still highly enjoying the series and can't wait to see how it ends. How will the silver bloods be defeated? Who will end with who? And what else could possibly happen?

What I'm Reading Next:   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment