Tuesday 12 June 2012

Blue Bloods: Keys to the Repository


Level: Older Teen
Genre: Fantasy > Vampires/Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Purchased at Borders
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
Keys to the Repository is a companion book to Melissa de la Cruz's bestselling Blue Bloods series. In this book, de la Cruz gives us a little more insight into her world.

Rating: 8/10
Most companion books tend to be a bit dull or a bit useless. I didn't find this to be the case with  Keys to the Repository. Melissa de la Cruz did a fine job at organizing the information that is great for catching up in the series (at least the first four books) or looking up small tidbits such as canine familiars or minor characters. She also has an appendix of terms used in the series. I know this would have been extremely useful for me when I came across some terms in the sacred language.

Now, even though all this information is useful, we've all read it before. Yes, it is a handy refresher, but what I thought was great about this companion piece was the short stories. In this book, we are given five different stories involving Jack, Schuyler, Bliss, Kingsley, and even Dylan. Although I dislike reading about the Schuyler/Jack romance, I still really like that de la Cruz gave us the extra shorts. They were quite enjoyable. I especially enjoyed learning what happened to Dylan in between Blue Bloods and Masquerade. Melissa de la Cruz also gives us a sneak peek into her new spin off series, Wolf Pact. When I originally heard about this, I was a bit iffy since spin offs are rarely great, but after reading the short story, I must admit I am quite intrigued. 

Overall, I found this to be an excellent companion book. It is easy to navigate and informative. Plus, it also holds some fascinating short stories that fills in some of the gaps of the main story line (or a sneak peek in Bliss's case), which allows use to see more into the characters. This is a must for any major Blue Bloods fan, and it's an interest for any range of the fandom of the  Blue Bloods.

What I'm Reading Next:     
 

No comments:

Post a Comment