Saturday 15 October 2011

Cirque du Freak: Trials of Death


Level: Youth to Teen
Genre: Fantasy/Horror > Vampires
Obtained: Purchased at Borders
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
When we last left Darren, he was told that he would have to complete five deadly trials to prove himself a worthy vampire. Not only are the trials themselves deadly, but if Darren fails in any way besides death, he will be executed. It is actually after one of these trials that Darren learns about a treacherous plot that involves the vampaneze.

Rating: 9/10
This book was filled with action and kept me turning the page (especially near the end). Darren's trials were interesting and even though you knew he wouldn't die (he is the main character and there is seven more books after all), Shan still managed to throw some curve balls at you. Although there were parts I didn't enjoy immensely (such as the Festival of the Undead), I still didn't really hate any part of the book this time. Besides, I appreciated getting to see Darren in more than his role as a half-vampire. It is always a plus when the author lets the every day and little affairs pop through into a book as well. It always makes it seem more real, and I didn't feel like I was bogged down with these kind of details either.

My favourite part was definitely the climax of this book, and I found myself unable to put it down and wondering how Darren would put a stop to it. Not only is he in a fix with the vampaneze at this point, but he is also in a bit of a pickle with the vampires, which may also limit his options.

I do wish that Shan went into more details about the Guardians of the Blood and their beliefs more. Although they may not be the most imaginative creature, they are still quite striking to the imagination and Shan could have introduced another culture more thoroughly into his world. All in all though, I really enjoyed this book and started the next one right away (the cliff hanger is a suspense like no other). It may have taken a while, but this series is definitely starting to take off.

What I'm Reading Next: 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment