Tuesday 30 August 2011

The Fallen


First off, please note that the cover above actually contains two novels: The Fallen and Leviathan.  For my book reviews, I use the cover I held in my hands while reading it, which is why I posted this cover instead of the single The Fallen cover. Just so you are aware, this review is on the one novel only: The Fallen.

Level: Older Teen
Genre: Fantasy > Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Purchased at Walmart
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
What this book is about is fairly simple. Upon his eighteenth birthday, Aaron Corbet starts to experience strange things. He is able to speak and understand all languages, including animals. Soon after, Aaron finds out that he is Nephilim, or an offspring of a fallen angel and a human woman. Not only that but Aaron is also part of a long told prophecy. It is said that he is to be the one to forgive the Fallen of their sins so that they may return to Heaven. However, there is a group of angels known as the Powers that are out to stop him and purge his uncleanliness from the world by death.

Rating: 7/10 Stars
Maybe I just have bad luck with teen novels, but few have swept me off my feet (exceptions are Diana Wynne Jones, who had been placed in both youth and teen, and The Hobbit, which is in both teen and adults). The Fallen by Thomas E. Sniegoski is no exception. However, I would not call this a complete disaster either. Originally, I was quite skeptical about picking this up since I had spotted the 2 in 1 versions, which dons a good looking, young lad on the cover. However, after reading the blurb I decided to give it a chance.

As I said, it wasn't brilliant, but neither was it dreadful. I am happy to say that the plot (for the most part) was fairly original. Granted Sniegoski's  writing style let this book fall flat. Although I have no problem with plot driven books, the lack of character development left me with little care for what happened to the characters, especially Aaron (but I have yet to find a main character in novel written strictly for teens that I have liked so far).

Sniegoski also needs to steer clear of the humour. Yes, I realise there is needed comedy relief, but Sniegoski fails at it miserably. The only exception to this was Gabriel, the talking dog, who had me laughing aloud. Now, at twenty-three, maybe I just don't have the same comedic tastes, but I wouldn't think twenty-three would make much difference. Teens, I would appreciate feedback on the humour in this book and what you thought of it.

On a plus note, I found it a great delight that Thomas Sniegoski actually did his homework on the angels. Much of what was in the book could be traced back to angelic lore. I know I, personally, have been turned off by many works of fiction because there was no mythos involved so kudos to Sniegoski.

So I would say that if you do spot the cover above in stores, do not be put off by it. This is no teen romance. In fact, there is plenty of action and violence, and it probably is better geared toward the male variety.

Overall, this is not a bad book, but the author's writing style makes the characters dull. The plot itself is pretty interesting though, and for those that care, plenty of research was done on the angels. The humour is a bit weak, as are the characters, but with the plot, it made for an all right read. Although I won't be recommending it to many people, teens may get quite the enjoyment out of it. 

What I'm Reading Next:
Part Two: Leviathan

No comments:

Post a Comment