Friday 28 October 2011

Cirque du Freak: The Lake of Souls


Level: Teen
Genre: Fantasy/Horror > Vampires
Obtained: Purchased at Borders
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
Shan takes a step back from the War of Scars and focuses on a character that we all have come to know and love: Harkat Mulds.  Harkat's nightmares have returned, and Mr. Tiny shows up to transport Darren and the Little Person to another world so that the latter can figure out who he was in his past life.

Rating: 9/10
Well, this book has definitely taken a different path from the rest of the series, and I must admit I very much enjoyed it. It was like a nice vacation, only not so relaxing. Darren and Harkat must come across a series of trials so that they may reach the lake of souls. Shan did a wonderful job at creating action in this book. It was definitely a page turner. His monstrous creatures were extremely vivid as well, such as the giant (and I mean GIANT) toad. I especially liked the Grotesque. It was completely unique and revolting. In this book, we are also introduced to the Kulashkas, which seem to be kinsfolk of the Guardians of Blood that we witnessed in the Vampire Mountain trilogy. I still wish we could have learned more about the Kulashkas/Guardians of Blood and their culture. Why do they milk the Grotesque? Why do they eat the dead? Hell, how did the Grotesque even come into being?

Then, once more, Shan continues to drop surprises and twists. I was especially shocked when I found out where they were and who Harkat was. Now, with the hint Mr. Tiny leaves, you may be able to figure it out on your own though it seems to have surprised a good chunk of people. This was definitely my favourite of the series so far, and I cannot wait to read the final two.

What I'm Reading Next:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment