Saturday 6 August 2011

Dead Reckoning


Level: Explicit Lite
Genre: Fantasy/Horror > Vampires/Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Borrowed from library
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
In the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel (11), problems just seem to be surrounding Sookie. First off, Harris reintroduces the Pelt plot. Sandra Pelt has escaped from the hospital, still intent on killing Sookie. Meanwhile, vampire drama continues as Eric, Sookie, and the others try to find a means to off Victor, the regent for the King of Louisiana, Arkansas, and Nevada, because Victor has been giving them unneeded trouble and trying to overthrow Eric himself.

Rating: 6/10 Stars
As for the overall plot, Harris seems to be settling back into her roots by having two different plots and then romance as the majority of her book. However, these plots really had nothing to do with each other and their only connection was Sookie. The first half of the book involves the recycled Sandra Pelt plot along with a small subplot involving Sam Merlotte. The rest of the book involved the Victor plot and Sookie's romance with Eric. Then, for the final chapter we are given a conclusion to the Pelt plot. Although the plots were decent enough, they could have easily been two separate novelettes. Okay, the Victor plot was decent. The Pelt plot has gotten too old and too foreseeable.  I am glad Harris put the Victor plot to an end. Although there are some open ends that she work with (such as how Felipe, the king, will act), I was getting tired of Sookie saying that Victor needed to die. 

The Pelt plot wasn't the only thing being dragged out in this series however. Quite a chunk of this book focused on Eric's and Sookie's relationship. Now, I have said before I don't mind romance in my books, but I cannot get behind this couple. I like Eric, and I don't mind Sookie, but it seems that any character Sookie ends up dating ends up becoming annoying quite quickly. Plus, it does not help that all I seem to be getting from this relationship is Sookie whining about secrets and thinking about sex with Eric. The other thing that bugs me is that she claims she loves him, but I can't believe it. I don't see it, and yes, I am going to put down that rule countless writers hear: show, don't tell. 

So, in summary, this book is a recycled plot, a different drawn out story, and an unbelievable romance that is nothing but whining and sex. That is two books in a row that aren't Harris's par, but at least they haven't dropped as much as Hamilton. There is still plenty hope that this series isn't dead.

What I'm Reading Next:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment