Monday 18 July 2011

From Dead to Worse


Level: Explicit Lite
Genre: Fantasy/Horror > Vampires/Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Borrowed from library
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
Sookie returns in the eight novel of this series. Things are amok in the supernatural world. First off, there seems to be a major feud going on in the local Were pack, causing women and children to be murdered, and Sookie also ends up becoming a target. To add onto that, the vampires receive visitors that are trying to take over the weakened regime, and that's not all. Quinn, Sookie's boyfriend, has also been missing since the explosion in Rhodes

Rating: 6/10
 Harris seems to have gone back to her general outline: two main plots, a few subplots, and a romance. Now, although there is romance in this book, it was lessened. This could be mainly due to the fact that Quinn is barely in the novel at all, but there is some Eric chemistry in there. Actually, I was expecting much more of the Quinn plot (since that's what's on the official blurb), but he isn't even mentioned for one fourth of the book. Now, I am not a Quinn fan so I was happy I didn't have to listen to a series of babes throughout the book, but it really bugs me when the blurb doesn't match the main plot of the book. 

I have to say the plots flowed well into one another, and they kept me quite interested. The problem I had with them is the two main plots only took up about half the book. The rest was little subplots I didn't care that much about (such as Sookie's family and Jason and Crystal's marriage). Speaking of Jason and Crystal, I find myself confused about the whole werepanther marriage bit. At first, I thought the the outside person would punish the person in the marriage that did wrong (such as Calvin would punish Crystal if she was unfaithful), but it turns out Sookie would punish Crystal if it happened and Calvin can take her place, or maybe Calvin automatically becomes the whipping boy. I honestly have no idea, and I really wish Harris would explain it better.

I was also a little disappointed by another subplot. Early on in the book, Sookie sees this aged yet beautiful man that the vampires act a little strangely toward. It turns out he is her great-grandfather and a fairy prince. I was like "That's it? Really?" but it turns out that he has powers that are pretty unheard of in fairies, such as being able to hide his scent from vampires so maybe there will something really cool there in a future book, but then I remember Quinn's backstory. I hope it's not a let down like that.

So, all in all, in was a nice and relaxing read, even if I wish there was less subplot (or at least more spread out). I, personally, wouldn't recommend this series to lots of people, but I wouldn't discourage anyone either. 
It's fun. It's not the best I have ever read, but it's still a good read.

What I'm Reading Next:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment