Tuesday 12 June 2012

Misguided Angel


Level: Older Teen
Genre: Fantasy > Vampires/Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Purchased on Amazon
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
Although still connected, Misguided Angel follows two main story lines told by three different points of view. The first one involves Schuyler and her continuation of the Van Alen Legacy. She and Jack are now in Europe, trying to find the other hellgates. While searching, Jack and Schuyler come across a group of red bloods who supposedly are under orders from blue bloods to guard a hellgate, but something isn't quite right.

Meanwhile, Mimi is having her own issues as acting regent. One of the young blue bloods have been captured and Mimi is given a limited amount of time to rescue her before the captors set her aflame with black fire. What's more is the hostage videos leaked out onto the internet, threatening the vampires with exposure. Then, there is the question of who is behind it. Not blue blood, not silver blood, but red.

Rating: 7/10
De la Cruz continues with an interesting story line. Although it's not packed with as much silver blood drama as The Van Alen Legacy, it is still quite gripping. Honestly, I think having a red blood as an enemy was an excellent move. We have come to expect a silver blood behind the trouble, but a mere human? Plus, we, the readers, need a less flashy threat after the Lucifer ordeal from the last book. However, as I said, this did not make Misguided Angel any less interesting. Except for a few sections, I found myself quite intrigued bu the installment.

Now, there were some factors that I disliked about this book. In all previous installments, each chapter is told by a different point of view, switching between Mimi, Schuyler, and Bliss. Misguided Angel is instead divided into four sections. The first follows Schuyler, the second follows Mimi,  the third follows a new vampire named Deming, and the final section is a mix of all three. Now, I have read in several reviews that many disliked the former style, saying it was more difficult to get into the story or it gave them character whiplash. Personally, I preferred that style. For one, it kept the story fresh in my mind, even if I needed to put the book down for several days. Secondly, I wasn't stuck with a character I didn't really care for for several pages on end. Honestly, I could not wait until Schuyler's section was finished. Don't get me wrong. She's not a dreadful character. I simply don't like reading about her all that much. 

Speaking of Schuyler, I am glad that Schuyler's story was more vampire/blue blood related than romance driven. So if you are a Jack/Schuyler fan, you may be a bit disappointed since they aren't given much romantic time. The other bit I disliked is the new POV character. Again, I don't hate her, but she ended up getting on my nerves a bit, especially with her "reading the aura" crap. However, the readers that enjoy the venator adventures should enjoy her tale. I have to say I did enjoy the story around her. I simply found her not to my liking.

Overall though, Melissa de la Cruz produced another entertaining read. The plot wasn't highly charged as some of the others, but that doesn't make it any less fantastic. De la Cruz keeps you riveted and introduces more twists and turns that will keep you glued to the page. Even after its fifth installment, there are still so many paths left to discover in Blue Bloods.

What I'm Reading Next:  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment