Sunday 17 April 2011

Dead Until Dark

Level: Explicit Lite
Genre: Fantasy/Horror > Vampire/Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Purchased at Borders
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
Sookie Stackhouse is a girl living in a small town called Bon Temps in Louisiana. However, Sookie isn't like any other girl. She is able to read the minds of those around her, and it can be a real chore for her not to hear their thoughts. Then, she meets Bill, who is a vampire. It is only recently that vampires "came out of the coffin" as they try to become accepted by society. Sookie, however, finds Bill very pleasing for one major reason. She can't hear his thoughts. Meanwhile, there are a series of murders happening in Bon Temps involving girls who are known "fang bangers" or someone who sleeps with vampires.

Rating: 4/10 
It wasn’t the worst thing I ever read, but certainly not the best either. I ended up picking up most of the series for several reasons. One of the reasons was because I had fallen in love with the HBO series, True Blood. The other main reason was because I was trying to find a new series to replace the crap that is now Anita Blake, and I had heard excellent things about the Sookie Stackhouse series.

Now, before I started the books, I was aware that they would be quite different from the show, especially the sexual content. I was fine with, and quite happy, with this fact, because I was sick of all the vampire romances out there with a severe lack of plot. I have no problem with romance in my books as long as there more to the plot than the romance and/or sex.

I was fairly entranced by the first couple chapters, but the book quickly started to lose my attention after a while. I thought it could have been possible I wasn’t as interested since I knew how it would end so the plot wasn’t able to capture me. However, neither did any other aspects of the book. I found the writing style bland and boring, for the most part, and I got no sense of the characters from the books.

One of the things I did like was the idea of the series and the main character. I recall reading in an interview that Charlaine Harris thought there ought to be a reason for a girl to want to date a vampire, and she did come up with an excellent reason: peace of mind.

So all in all, I would suggest borrowing this book rather than buying it, but I wouldn’t say it’s a complete waste of time either.

Next on My Reading List:

No comments:

Post a Comment