Monday 16 April 2012

Blue Bloods

First off, I would like to apologise for the severe lack of updates. Honestly, I have little excuse. At first, I was reading lengthier books, but in all honesty, I simply haven't been posting.

Secondly, you have have noticed that my last post said that I was planning to read some Marquis de Sade next. Well, I had to return the book before being able to finish so I will finish that later. Instead, you are going to get my reviews on some YA books.


Level: Older Teen
Genre: Fantasy > Vampires/Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Purchased at Borders
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
Blue Bloods follows New York's elite with their fancy parties and designer clothes. However, most of New York's elite isn't what you would call human. In fact, they are actually vampires. In this particular novel, we follow the characters of Mimi Force, Bliss Llewellyn, and Schuyler Van Allen as they navigate the treacherous world of popularity and becoming vampires. However, there is more to worry about than just that. Something is killing the Blue Bloods (the vampires), and only Jack, Mimi's brother, Schulyer, and Bliss seem concerned.

Rating: 8/10
If you're wanting an original vampire book, you have found one here. However, if you are expecting something dark and morbid, this isn't it. Now, I'm not saying this book is all puppies and sunshine, but it definitely has a Mean Girls feel to it.

Although this isn't the best written piece out there, it definitely was original and interesting. It was fun to see the petty dramas, and the book had me wanting to know who the Silver Blood (the creature killing the Blue Bloods) was. De la Cruz did a fabulous job at leading you down several paths and making you wonder which one was correct. Not only was the style unique, but de la Cruz's vampires are as well. Instead of being the undead, she has her vampires as fallen angels that are reincarnated through several human life times so that they may atone for their sins. 

Now, one of the downfalls of this book is that it takes quite a while for it to get to the meat of the plot. About three fourths of Blue Bloods consists of vindictive plays and the characters trying to figure out what is happening to them. The downfall to this is we know from page one that the main characters are vampires. However, I personally still felt the book was interesting. Honestly, I feel the biggest fault the book had was the designer name dropping. Although I do not endorse myself entirely in the fashion world, I still hold quite an interest in it. However, even I was growing tired of the constant name dropping of designers. I understand that it shows part of the elite society and helps create a feel, but sometimes you read five different designers in one paragraph alone (and they're not long paragraphs).

Granted, even with the slow starts and the fashion trivia bombarded in your face, I still found it to be a very enjoyable read. As stated earlier, it's not the most well written piece by any means, but it definitely had originality and left me reaching for the next installment in the series. It's a junk food worth reading.

What I'm Reading Next:    
 

No comments:

Post a Comment