Wednesday 21 September 2011

Aerie


First off, please note that the cover above actually contains two novels: Aerie and Reckoning.  For my book reviews, I use the cover I held in my hands while reading it, which is why I posted this cover instead of the single Aerie cover. Just so you are aware, this review is on the one novel only: Aerie

Level: Older Teen
Genre: Fantasy > Urban Fantasy
Obtained: Purchased on Amazon
Reviewed by: Nic Echo

About the Book:
In the third installment of The Fallen series, Aaron continues his journey to find his step-brother, Stevie. Along this journey, Aaron and his companions end up at Aerie, a safe haven for nephilim and the fallen. Meanwhile, Verchiel, the Powers' commander, is still determined to put an end to Aaron by any means.

Rating: 7/10
I, honestly, felt that Aerie had a bit of a rough start as it was more character based, which is not Sniegoski's string suit. However, once the action started picking up again, it was a faster and more enjoyable read. It was well detailed without being overtly so. I did feel. however, that a good chunk of the book was recycled, in several areas, in fact. Although the action scenes were interesting, it seemed as if they had been written in his The Fallen novel. Now, I understand that things are bound to be repeated at some point in a series, but when you feel that way throughout most of the book, you have a problem. Also, the action scenes were not the only repetitive thing produced. Again, we have Verchiel threatening people Aaron cares for. Again, we have fallen angel deaths and forgiveness. Again, there is a fight with Verchiel. And again there is lightning used as a weapon. Hell, we are even getting the same jokes. I like Gabriel, but the hunger and food jokes have gone stale.

Again, this is another plot driven book, which is fine and dandy, but can make it hard for the reader to care for the characters. However, even with this fault, I, personally, felt a sadness when Aaron comes across Stevie and realises what has been done to him. Yes, a well written emotional level could have brought out more, but I believe anyone with a little imagination could draw up a cord deep within. 

Overall, however, I enjoyed the book and felt it was worth both my times and money. Yes, it seemed recycled and the dialogue had me rolling my eyes, but I was able to fall into it. It kept me up at night since I did not want to put the book down, and I think that speaks for itself.

What I'm Reading Next:
 Part Two: Reckoning

No comments:

Post a Comment